Thursday, May 19, 2005

Wow!

Just went on a 30 mile ride with an old friend, Glen Newcombe, from Hampton. He used to be my scout master and is fathers of one of my friends. He is an avid and well seasoned Mt. biker and Rd. biker. All I have to say is boy can that guy ride!

We went out to Woodstock then made our way back through Chaplin and back to Hampton again. I learned a ton about drafting, pedal techniques and hand signals. Drafting can help you 1% per mile per hour. Going 20 mph down a hill the person drafting has a 20% easier time then the first person. So on any flat or down-hills it's very advantageous to draft. Keeping about 6 inches from the person in front of you is best. As the lead gets tired they move to the side and the next person moves up to take point. Very efficient system where everyone wins.

I realized that I should keep a higher cadence (pretty much rpm's for your feet) because it keeps your muscles ready for longer distances and you don't tire out as quickly. I was doing the opposite and making my muscles do a ton of work.

I also learned to stand up and pedal going up short hills rather then downshifting. It uses a whole different set of muscles and helps your attack those short steep hills. After a few times I realized those different muscles still need some work!

Glens getting me in touch with a cycle group in Willimantic and I might do a group ride with them this weekend to learn more and get used to ridding in groups and working together. Hopefully I can go.

Lastly here is a picture of me and my bike after the ride:

Share/Save/Bookmark Share/Send








My Retro Throwback GIF:

Made With A Mac