Sunday, June 05, 2005

West Granby, CT

Distance: 56.7 Miles
Ride Time: 4 hours 10 min
Average Speed: 13.98 mph
Max Speed: 46.2 mph ( I want to break 50 before Seattle!)

Bike: Today was long and hilly. The morning was beautiful, cool and sunny. Amazing. Everything was going really well until Sara fell. There were railroad tracks that were in disrepair and she skidded out in the sand. She was a little shaken up but okay. Another girl slammed into the back of another kid and cracked her helmet in a few spots as well as bending her tire. She went to the hospital and received a clean bill of health. Speaking of which I need to call and make sure I have health insurance tomorrow :-) The rest of the day was fun, we actually had to ride though Bradley Airport to get to Rt 20 which was pretty funny. We rode right by the terminals and stuff.
Tonight was awesome. We are staying in a beautiful church and they gave us pot luck dinner. I've never eaten so much in my life. They were very excited and interested in our trip which was nice.
Sara's parents are going to come visit tomorrow I think. That will be awesome. I saw my parents yesterday and hers tomorrow, so much love! After Pennsylvania it will be pretty lonely. I tried to post pictures today but the connection with my cell phone is too slow. Tomorrow I think we are staying at a school so they may have high speed internet.

Build: After dinner we did a presentation on Habitat for all the church members. A huge part of our trip is creating awareness so every-time we stay somewhere we try and do a presentation and include local facts so the people we speak to can relate. I want to try and bring up as much habitat facts and information as I can. People always seem to overlook that and just ask questions about the bike trip and how we go about it. I want to focus more on the building and how much affordable housing is needed all over the US. Thats the main reason I'm on this trip and the one thing I feel really strongly about. It's' easy to bike, not easy to eliminate affordable housing.

Ride on!

Share/Save/Bookmark Share/Send








My Retro Throwback GIF:

Made With A Mac