Tuesday, May 24, 2005

Homework

Well, I received my first assignment today. I'm in charge of finding out about affordable housing issues in the eastern part of Iowa. I'm in charge of Clinton, IA, Cedar Rapids, IA, and Marshalltown, IA. I pretty much need to look up what the demographics are of the area and some affordable housing statistics. Once it's done I'll post it on here in PDF for people to look at if they’re interested.

It's nice to have to learn about another area of the US, I've been with Habitat in upstate NY for 4 years so I know that area pretty well. But already in my research I can tell there are huge differences across the country.

Affordable housing is something that I feel strongly about because I think the home is one of the most important things for a person and family. I think that by working on affordable and decent housing it will be easier to deal with many of the other issues that plague the U.S. and world. A person’s home is there base, where they should be grounded. Many problems can in some way be affected by they type of housing a person lives in. Living in decent housing, in turn creates hope, happiness, and family. Not just family in the literal term family as in the emotional and spiritual term. Family is the support network closest to you.

I've experienced first hand how strongly a new decent house can affect someone. It's a new start on life, a new beginning. Unfortunately, there are even problems with Habitat’s system. Recently, taxes because of increasing property values in some areas are so high that habitat homeowners have to move, because their taxes end up costing more then their 0% interest mortgage payments. It's a new hurdle that many habitat affiliates are dealing with.

I look forward to being able to help with this cause at the same time learning more about it. Not just in my home area but across the entire country.

Feel free to leave comments with your ideas and opinions in the comment section, on this entry or any of my entries.

Share/Save/Bookmark Share/Send








My Retro Throwback GIF:

Made With A Mac