Wednesday, March 04, 2009

Close Call...

So two days ago we, the earth, had a pretty close call. A comet (2009 DD45) came within 37,282 miles of the earth. Seems pretty far right? Well the moon is 2,388,550 miles from the earth, so it's quite a bit closer then our own moon. In some parts of the world it could be seen through clouds it was so bright. Being only about 150 feet across it wouldn't have destroyed the earth but it would have caused quite a bit of trouble for the area it hit. And we would only have about 24 hours to evacuate.
Here is a video of it, it's best if you just wait till it loads then click and drag through it to see it in fast motion:



It would have looked something like this 1972 comet which burned up in the atmosphere:

Anyway, I bring this up because as you know. The scientists of the world decided to test the LHC based on the chances of an astroid hitting and destroying us. HERE is the convo I had with my friend Chan about it. As I read about this near miss, I found the original article and it talks about how we really only know and have mapped about 5% of what could technically destroy us in the near future. Please read the article HERE.

My point? Well maybe the scientists are right, we should test the LHC. Looks like our chances aren't good either way, haha.

Share/Save/Bookmark Share/Send








My Retro Throwback GIF:

Made With A Mac