Friday, August 07, 2009

Nike+ Experience

A few weeks ago I was reading an article in Wired Magazine, which by the way is great journalism if your looking for a well written tech magazine, and I came across an article (Click HERE to read it) on the Nike+. If you aren't up for a good read or don't have time, HERE is Apple's page on it.

Basically it's a little accelerometer that goes in your Nike shoe and it communicates with your iPod or in my case my iPhone. I don't have Nike shoes so I just bought a little pouch that holds it on your shoe laces. After you calibrate it, it tracks how far and fast you're running. Once back to your computer, you sync it with Nike's running website. HERE is my Nike+ Site. You can see all the runs and run/walks I've done and even see the speed/distance graph by clicking any of the distances in the list. On the right side I've also added a widget on my blog that will show my last run.

As the article states, Nike really hit the nail on the head with this because it works with Apple's music players, which has already basically saturated the market, and it shows and shares your running data. You upload it, see it, track it and you can even challenge your self and friends. On top of that you can set personal goals, ie. I want to run 4 times this week.

The challenges and goals are what really help motivate me to run. I set a goal and if know I have 2 weeks to run 6 times, I know I should get on it. And once I get a few more friends on Nike+ it will be really fun trying to beat them.

Here is a screen shot of todays run, and yes I did get motivated to run on a Friday (Click HERE for the interactive one):



You can see circles on the graph and if you put your mouse over them on THIS page you can see the stats. Those are when I pushed a button on my phone. Then in my headphones I hear my current distance, time, and speed per mile. It also marks it on the graph. I use this before I go up hills or change terrain so I can track why my speed changed. As you can see at the end I sprinted and it's reflected in the graph.

It even track all your runs over time:


It would be great if they also did this for biking, and maybe even incorporated GPS into it because the iPhone now has GPS. But as the article says, simple seems to be working well. They have had users log over 151,772,660 miles when I wrote this.

Run on!

Labels: , , , ,

Share/Save/Bookmark Share/Send








My Retro Throwback GIF:

Made With A Mac