Wednesday, August 12, 2009

FCC Please Help!

THIS is the kind of stuff that really annoys me, especially when I'm paying $80 a month for a iPhone. I understand that creating a cell network that blankets the entire US is expensive, but I don't like that there is an extra $16 million a year left over to lobby my government so I keep paying more!

"Later this month, the Federal Communications Commission plans to begin a broad inquiry into competition in the wireless industry. It will also review rules designed to prevent carriers from tacking junk fees onto phone bills." -WSJ

Yes, good, great! I also don't like the fact that even when paying $60 a month for a voice plan you can get charged $0.20 per text message unless you get a $15 a month text plan. When in fact, a text message costs the carriers next to nothing to transmit. It goes over the same system that the higher bandwidth voice data travels!

"As part of its review, FCC Chairman Julius Genachowski reordered the agency to launch an inquiry into whether Apple Inc. nixed Google Inc.'s voice software from its iPhone App Store because it might compete with AT&T's services." -WSJ

And really good to this! I love Apple, but they shouldn't be allowing AT&T to dictate what apps go on the phone. An iPhone owner HAS to pay the high iPhone rate, so who cares how they use up THEIR minutes. Cell phones should follow in the footsteps of computers. You can get service (read internet) from whom ever you want. You're allowed to run ANY program or application you want on your computer. ie. You buy your phone from any manufacturer and can use it with any service provider.

And don't get me started on the crappy service AT&T members are getting for what they pay. If AT&T can't handle all the iPhones and all the data they in turn use, then they should be giving refunds/discounts until they can! That's the number one reason Apple needs to get out of the AT&T iPhone deal. I love the iPhone but AT&T sucks, so I should be able to take my iPhone to Verizon or Sprint, peace AT&T! Here is another blogger who RANTS about similar issues.

Hopefully the FCC is going to get a little more involved with open access in regards to the internet and cell phones. I don't feel like they have been very on top of everything in the last 8 years. I guess we'll have to wait and see what unfolds...

Labels: , , ,

Share/Save/Bookmark Share/Send








My Retro Throwback GIF:

Made With A Mac